Join our team of top talent! We are a progressive firm dedicated to excellence by promoting inclusivity, diversity and top tier knowledge. Check this page for open career opportunities as they are available!
Intermediate Civil Engineering Technologist
Strait Engineering Ltd (SEL) is a small consulting engineering firm based in Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia since 1983. SEL markets its services in Nova Scotia and offers a range of services from conceptual planning to preliminary engineering and detailed design to project management. Although SEL responds to a range of engineering assisgnments, municipal infrastructure continues to be our core engineering activity and provides services to all levels of government and First Nation Communities.
Position: Full Time/Permanent
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week, Mon-Fri
Rate of Pay: Based on qualifications
Additional Compensation: All statutory/non-statutory holidays, extra Holidays for Christmas/New Years, Medical/Life/AD&D/Long Term Disability, milage paid for work travel
Duties & Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Senior Engineers, the Technologist will assist the Engineer in the design and inspection in the areas of municipal and structural engineering. The successful candidate will be required to;
- Carry out GPS topographic layout
- Utilize civil and structural engineering software including AutoCAD and Civil3D
- Assist Project Engineers with project management duties
- Assist with design development, preparation of working drawings, specifications and contract documents
- Diploma of Civil Engineer Technology from and accredited post-secondary institution
- A member in good standing or eligible for registration with TechNova
- 3-5 year experience in a capacity related to municipal/structural engineering design and construction projects
- Proven knowledge of GPS survey equipment and technologies is required
- Proficient use of AutoCAD and Civil 3D software
- Proven knowledge of Civil Engineering software in municipal and structural design is an asset
- Proven knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal/external stakeholders
- Good work record
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Available to work overtime and in the field from time to time
- Must possess a valid Nova Scotia driver’s license and own a vehicle
To apply please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Intermediate Civil Engineering Technologist”. We thank all applicants who apply, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Senior Project Engineer
Engineering, planning and design work related to a variety of civil engineering projects, with focus on municipal infrastructure projects. The Project Engineer is directly accountable for work in their assigned service area. Strait Engineering Ltd has operated out of Port Hawkesbury, NS since 1983.
Hours of work: 35hrs per week, Mon-Fri
Rate of Pay: Based on qualifications
Additional Compensation: All statutory/non-statutory holidays, extra holidays for Christmas/New Years, Medical/Life/AD&D/Long Term Disability.
Duties and Responsibilities
– Provide professional certification work within field of expertise including signing and sealing related design drawings and as-constructed drawings.
– Provide professional and technical expertise, guidance and direction to project team member including junior/intermediate engineers, technicians and staff including acting as project lead.
– Responsible for project implementation from concept to commissioning for a variety of civil engineering projects including production of contract documents, tender process, construction, and start-up of a project through to project completion.
– Design, evaluate and implement a variety of wastewater and water systems and facilities.
– Prepare and review contract specification, detailed costs estimates, staff reports, request for proposals, and tender documents.
– Receive, evaluate and recommend acceptance or rejection of tenders.
– Provide assistance, direction and clarification of contract intent to internal/external stakeholders.
– Provide contract oversight and administration including overseeing, directing, liaising and negotiating with contractors and/or consultants.
– Provide project oversight and project management ensuring projects are completed on time and within budget.
– Prepare written technical engineering submissions to internal/external stakeholders.
– Ensure current standards are adhered to for design, construction and operational matters.
– Provide assistance in the career development of junior staff including technical direction, coaching and mentoring.
– Upgrade knowledge and experience to evaluate and/opr implement engineering standards and practises in compliance with federal and provincial guidelines and legislation.
– Civil Engineering degree and 6-8 years of relevant work experience in the following fields: municipal, civil design, transportation, water sanitary and stormwater design, surveying and project management. Emphasis on municipal infrastructure including water and waste water facilities, and the design of facilities that collect, treat and dispose of wastewater.
– Membership or eligible for membership with Engineers Nova Scotia
– A thorough knowledge of standards, materials, methods of construction and design, contract administration and engineering operations.
– Demonstrated experience with contract management, including providing direction and oversight while ensuring standards and expectations are met.
– Knowledge of and ability to use various computer work processing, spreadsheet and project scheduling programs and databases. Experience with AutoCAD and Civil 3D is an asset.
– Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
– Excellent presentation skills with demonstrated ability to communicate complex, technical information to non-technical and technical audiences.
– Knowledge of federal/provincial/municipal regulations, legislation, codes, standards and guidelines.
– Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), attention to detail, ability to interact with co-workers and public in positive /professional manner and strong organizational/time management skills are all required.
– Must possess a valid Note Scotia drivers license.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Empoloyees will be required to follow all provincial health guidelines and any additional requirements set by various clients.
To apply please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior Project Engineer”. We thank all applicants who apply, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.